Basic Recipe for Stuffed Mushrooms
Common store mushrooms/button mushrooms 8 (no more than 2″ in diameter)
Garlic 2 cloves
Olive Oil 2 tbsp for sautéing the
Black pepper 3 turns of the pepper mill
Basil 1-2 generous pinches
Shredded Cheese (Asiago, parmesan, romano) ½ cup (I’m using the Private Selection Brand pre shredded)
Shredded Mozzarella 2 tbsp
Bread Crumbs as needed
- Wash mushrooms and remove peel. Do not soak mushrooms in water as that will make them soggy.
- Move the stalk back and forth to snap them out of the mushrooms.
- Mince the stalks. Mince the garlic.
- Add to 2 tbsp of heated olive oil. Cook until slightly golden and no moisture left in pan.
- Sprinkle some salt, black pepper and basil (crush between fingers as you sprinkle to bring out the flavor) evenly into the garlic mushroom mixture and set aside to cool. You may add 2 tbsp of breadcrumbs to this mixture if you like. This helps with the excess moisture in the mushrooms. I used to add it, but don’t anymore and it does just fine as I sprinkle the mushroom gills with plenty of breadcrumbs as in step 8.
- Drizzle the baking dish with some olive oil and coat evenly. Place the mushrooms caps smooth side up on the baking dish and drizzle them with olive oil ~ 1- 1 ½ tbsp and smear well.
- Turn the mushroom caps over, gill side up.
- Sprinkle some bread crumbs evenly over the gills. Spread into the gills evenly using your finger. This will help soak moisture from the mushrooms when baking and prevent them from getting wet.
- To the garlic mushroom mixture, add the ½ cup cheese blend and 2 tbsp mozzarella.
- Scoop some of this mixture with your fingers and stuff into the shells in the form of a mound. It will look overstuffed, but once baked it will settle down. Press down gently to avoid breaking the mushrooms. If a mushroom tears don’t worry. It will still be edible. The recipe could be made till this point and set aside until you are ready to bake and serve.
- Bake at 375 º for 12-14 minutes or until mushrooms look golden and bubbly.
NOTE: IF you pick smaller mushrooms (1″ diameter), you can skip step 8 since the gills wouldn’t even be visible on the smaller mushrooms.
For spinach stuffed mushrooms, follow the exact steps above, except in step 4 after the mushroom caps turn golden, add a large handful of chopped fresh baby spinach and saute until it looses all its moisture. Add more olive oil if needed. It should not be wet. Allow to cool. To this you can add feta cheese and cream cheese instead of the shredded cheese blend and mozzarella. Mix well with your fingers. Stuff the mushrooms well and bake. The spinach and feta cheese mushrooms have become my family’s favorite.