This makes for a great appetizer or lunch. One time I took this to a party and it was a super hit. I was asked for the recipe by several people. The serving dish was down to bare bones within seconds.
- Tofu Firm 2 bricks
- Soy sauce 3 tbsp
- Green leaf lettuce leaves cleaned and dried with a paper towel
- Cilantro chopped 1/3 cup
- garlic 3 big cloves garlic
- ginger 1 ½ cms ginger
- Red Chili paste on the side
- spicy mustard on the side
- Vegetable Oil 2-2 ½ tablespoons
- Dry the tofu using paper towels to get as much moisture out as possible. Don’t squeeze lest you crumble it.
- Dice into 1*1.25 cms.
- Heat a heavy bottomed wide skillet or pan and add 1 ½ tbsp of vegetable oil.
- Heat the oil for 2-3 minutes on medium high heat or until hot.
- Add one of the diced tofu to the skillet and give the skillet a few good shakes.
- Use a spatula to carefully handle the tofu, stirring occasionally without crumbling the tofu.
- Adjust the heat to medium high and let tofu cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally and adjusting heat as needed until tofu looks golden.
- Remove from skillet onto a paper towel lined plate and repeat with the second brick of diced tofu. You may want to add another ½ or 1 tbsp of oil if needed.
- While the tofu is cooking, place your cilantro, garlic and ginger in a chopper and chop till finely chopped.
- Add the soy sauce and stir to coat all the tofu and cook for another 3-5 minutes on medium high heat.
- Sprinkle the chopped cilantro, ginger and garlic and give it a quick stir. Turn off heat.
- To serve arrange the lettuce leaves on a platter and place the tofu over it.
- Serve with spicy red chili paste and spicy mustard on the side.
NOTE: If taking this to a party, keep the lettuce and tofu separate until ready to serve. Place the lettuce on a platter. Place the tofu in a microwave safe dish. Cove with a moist paper towel and heat the tofu. Place it on the lettuce bed and attack.